Photobucket

Sunday, December 16, 2012

New Custom Made Motorcyle Wheel Truing Stand

So I got this cheapo wheel truing stand from a very good friend of mine for free he bought it on ebay and it was awful it wouldnt line up straight no matter what and wobbled all over the place the side legs were made of cheap thin material that flexed as the wheel spun on it making it impossible to get anything trued up on it so I needed to lace up and true a nice Hex Hub Spool to an original Akront 21" hoop with some nice Buchanans stainless spokes and instead of running it over to my friends shop I figured it was a good time to re work that truing stand so I can take care of this in my own shop this is what I started with Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App I had to shave down the bearing cones so that actually fit the wheel bearings properly so I tossed them into the lathe Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App then I got to work on making the threaded rods for the bearing cones to slide over and secure into place I used some 3/4" threaded rod and turned them down to match the ends on the stock rods (which were metric thread) Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App the original is on the left and the one I made is on the right Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App took some 2"x2" square tube that I wanted to use as the new legs so they would be nice and sturdy and cut them to length then drilled them out on the mill for holes for the new rods to pass through Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App new legs up into place and a mock up alignment rod in place to hold everything true Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App I added some bracing on the bottom to keep it all nice and stiff and not flex Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App then added in some braces so the legs would stay firmly in place Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App welded up the nuts and washers to the legs to have a piece to thread the bearing cone shafts into and be nice and sturdy Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App and shes all done nice and sturdy I trued up the new wheel with it just fine and I was very pleased with how well it works it works as good as some of the $600 truing stands Ive used before Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

No comments:

Post a Comment